Embed forms in your pages and posts that accept an email address in exchange for a file download.
View a live demo here.
Adds a short code like [download file=”path_to_file”] that embeds a form in the post asking for an email address before showing a link to a file for download. Great for promoting white papers and other digital assets on your site.
The plugin works in 3 parts.
1. The short code to add the form to your pages.
2. The logic to check (using session variables) if the user has provided an email address before showing either the email capture form or the download link.
3. A script to serve files securely. It checks for the same session variable before delivering the file. Files can be located outside the web directory or servered from the uploads folder, etc, with an obfuscated URL.
The look of the email and download forms can be changed by editing the files in the /css/ and /templates/ folder of the plugin.
- Upload the `ss-downloads` directory to the `/wp-content/plugins/` directory.
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress.
- Add shortcodes like [download file=”http://path_to_file” title=”optional title”] or [download file=”wp-content/uploads/2010/7/filename.ext”] to your blog posts and pages.
- Navigate to Tools –> SS Downloads to view a list of collected emails and stats on file downloads.
- You can also change the settings on that page to either require signups or to send the file (or a link to the file) by email.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: My downloads are incomplete, corrupt, or otherwise not downloading… especially large files.
A: This may be caused by a low memory issue or some other issue with serving the file through the getfile.php script. You can configure the plugin to simply redirect to the chosen file rather than serving it through the script by editing /ss-downloads/includes/setup.php and setting the GETFILE_REDIRECT value to true. The file will have to be served in a public web folder, and 733t hackers will be able to see the actual URL of the file.
Email me at email@example.com to ask a question. I will answer your question and post it here.
This plugin is provided free of charge under the GPL license. If you find this useful and want to show your appreciation, feel free to donate any amount using the button below. Thanks.