What Address to Use for WineLog Mobile?

We are getting ready to release mobile access to WineLog. I wanted to pose a question around this, and I hope to get at least a few responses. So here goes…

What should we make the address for the WineLog mobile site?

Here are a few options. Feel free to come up with your own.

  • http://winelog.mobi
  • http://mobile.winelog.net
  • http://mob.winelog.net
  • http://winelog.net/mobile

We picked up the winelog.mobi domain a little while ago “just in case”. I’m not really a fan of the new top-level domain. Creating a separate subdomain for the mobile version seems much more elegant to me. Although, keeping the mobile site and regular site on different domains will help with traffic tracking and the such.

The effect on Google juice should also be taken into account though. By using a different top-level domain, we’ll be losing the Google ranking we’ve established. But maybe a .mobi address will help with mobile search engine ranking. I doubt it though since Google themselves aren’t using the .mobi domain. http://www.google.mobi redirects to http://www.google.com/mobile.

“mob” is quicker to type than “mobile” or “mobi”, so I’m pretty fond of mob.winelog.net. But I also want to keep to any standards that have been developing. My only experience with this so far is http://mobilicio.us, where we made the base site the mobile site and use http://mobilicio.us/www as the “project site” meant to be viewed from a larger screen. The mobile application was what people would want, so we put it right there at the root level. We did use the funny .us top-level domain to stay hip and remind people of the interaction with http://del.icio.us.

So I’m really looking forward to everyone’s opinions on this. Thanks in advance.

What Address to Use for WineLog Mobile? was last updated on January 17, 2007. Bookmark the permalink.

Installing IE7

That’s right. I’m installing IE7 with the intention of removing my dependency on FireFox.

I love FireFox. I’ve gotten used to the browser. Using it just feels right. That said, FF used to lock up on me about once per day. Since installing FireFox 2, the browser locks up at least once every 30 minutes. On the one hand, this is kind of cool as it forces me to take a break every half hour. On the other hand, this is extremely annoying.

What about Opera? I have Opera installed on my machine, mostly for website testing purposes. Opera has tabs, the major feature keeping me from just using IE6. But then there is just something about the Opera interface that bugs me (I should figure out exactly what this is). That, and the compatibility issues Opera has with a few websites would bug me to death.

IE7 has tabs! But I’ve been holding back from upgrading because you can’t run IE6 and IE7 at the same time. So I wouldn’t be able to see my websites on the browser that most people (including clients) are using these days. But! I’ve just gotten my laptop fixed, which still has IE6. And so my laptop has been deemed “the testing machine” for website testing, IE6 goodness. I do use the laptop for more than testing though: when I’m out on the road or want to work from the couch. My backup plan if I can’t keep myself from installing IE7 on the laptop is to setup a Virtual Machine with IE6 on it. Anyway…
A perfect storm has been brewing to get me to switch to IE7. And the installation is done; time to restart. Let’s see how it turns out.

Installing IE7 was last updated on November 14, 2006. Bookmark the permalink.